Gatehouse Admissions Staff
Massachusetts Horticultural Society is a member-supported organization, dedicated to encouraging and improving the science and practice of horticulture and to developing the public’s enjoyment, appreciation and understanding of plants and the environment.
The Gatehouse Admissions staff is the first person to greet visitors to The Gardens at Elm Bank. We are looking for a responsible, friendly person to greet our guests, collect admissions, provide general information about the Garden, including orientation and wayfinding, exhibits, special programming, membership, educational opportunities and other amenities. Acting as an “ambassador for the garden” and creating a positive guest experience.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides a signature guest experience through outstanding customer service.
- Responsible for daily gatehouse operations, including, daily operations, management, admissions, Gatehouse appearance, and occasional merchandising.
- Helps guests by providing general information about the Garden, including orientation and wayfinding, exhibits, special programming, membership, educational opportunities, and other amenities.
- Actively engages guests to enhance their experience by understanding why guests are visiting and make suggestions based on their interests. Respond promptly to guest needs, including communicating concerns to the leadership team.
- Actively promotes and sells MHS memberships
- Acts as Manager on Duty as needed by providing support to guests, volunteers, vendors and any operational needs.
- Acts as a point of contact in the event of guest concerns.
- Provides accurate cash handling skills and operation of the point-of-sale (POS) system, supports and performs opening and closing procedures of the garden, including processing admissions, memberships, and carrying out retail sales.
- Ensures guests are aware of and following Garden Etiquette, Photography Policy and other organizational policies.
- Assists with managing crowds during high visitation times.
- Maintains knowledge of MHS programs and events.
- Serves as part of a cross-departmental team that delivers a superior guest experience, drives membership and promotes MHS’s mission.
- Help to transition garden guests when closing early for private events.
- Develops, maintains and promotes positive and professional relationships with internal staff, volunteers, members, vendors, and the general public in order to achieve departmental and organizational goals
- Assists and performs other duties as assigned.
- In a friendly manner, proactively and professionally answer questions and provide directions concerning classes, exhibitions, shows, and garden.
- Handle all cash and credit card transactions.
- Document and report attendance and complete forms daily.
- Develop a proficiency in garden information and literature, available resources, and desk procedures.
- Monitor visitor materials, signs and displays in and around the Gatehouse. Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the Gatehouse area.
- Maintain strong team relationships with staff and volunteers.
- Report security problems.
- Prior experience in retail, customer service or hospitality preferred.
- Experience with POS system preferred.
- Communicate well with guests. Remain polite, courteous, and helpful at all times.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts for monetary transactions.
- Ability to solve problems and make decisions.
- Ability to successful pass a criminal background check.
- Evenings, weekend and/or holiday work required.
- Occasional bending, stooping, reaching, crouching or light lifting (up to 30 lbs).
- Prolonged periods of sitting, standing, in varying environmental conditions.
Allison Dush, Director of Programs and Education
Hours: up to 30 hrs/week; including ½ hour off for lunch, Will include rotating evening and weekend work. Hours Range from 9:30am – 7:30 pm.
Season: May – October
Pay: $14 per hour
Status: part-time, seasonal, non-exempt